Musical theater and military, Final Fantasy and Disney, band/choir and basketball, french fries and milkshakes. . . So many areas of my life seem completely opposite and unrelated. Why would anyone try to juxtapose such seemingly incompatible interests? For me, it just works. I don't know why, but it does.
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
To blog or not to blog. . . That is the question
Well, I actually already know the answer - to blog. SO much has happened to me over the last 5 years since I made this blog. I have served a mission in Japan, been brought to my knees from stress and pain, witnessed miracles, felt my life molded and shaped by a loving God, found brothers and friends that have blessed my life, and finally started coming to grips with who I am.
I have stories, thoughts, and experiences that are just waiting to be written down. Things that have been pent up inside for so long and need to be recorded. So here is a promise to myself and my friends/loved ones: I will write. I hope the things I have to contribute will be of some benefit to readers.
"Awake, awake, awake my soul
God resurrect these bones
From death to life, to You alone
Awake my soul!"
-Chris Tomlin
A note on the picture: me with a couple of officers in the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force. I was able to attend a training event with them in Sendai (Northern Japan) last year. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and very much a miracle that practically fell out of the sky.
I ran a Ragnar relay race in Northern California last year (a twelve person, just about 200 mile relay race, with three legs per participant - Run, Eat, Sleep? Repeat). One of my teammates worked with the Sergeant in charge of Utah's National Guard group bound for Japan. After I had mentioned that I spoke Japanese, she offered to talk with her coworker to see if I could go along and help with interpretation.
Three months later I stepped onto that beautiful Japanese soil. After being released from missionary service, I had dreamed and longed to go back EVERY single day. Finally, the dream came true, and I was back in Japan.
Throughout my life, I've felt very inadequate at times. I haven't been the fastest, strongest, smartest, most talented individual, at least in self-comparison to others. On this trip however, I felt appreciated and needed - both by the US troops and their Japanese counterparts. While most of the specific Japanese military lingo went straight over my head, I was able to pick up some of it. I felt like I helped to facilitate some understanding, and bridge-building between our two distinct cultures.
I felt. . . alive. What an awesome opportunity, that allowed me to make a difference, have fun, and form friendships that I hope last a lifetime.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You are truly inspiring...and I have a feeling that the best is yet to come for you Paul. =)
Post a Comment