A note on the enlistment process:
I did return to MEPS the following week to take the ASVAB. It went well, I got a pretty good score on the test. The hotel stay was fun, the food was decent, and it was cool being able to spend some time with other people in the same boat. However, the next morning, after enduring through all of the tests (including that dreaded urinalysis. . .) I found out I would be unable to enlist without a further bit of medical paperwork. I previously had slight problems with my wrist, and had seen the doctor about it, but it was doing fine. On the enlistment paperwork, I initially said no to "Previous or current pain in the wrist . . ." despite constant naggings from my conscience. When I went to MEPS, I started feeling really guilty about hiding that bit of information, so I changed my answer. It turned out that all I had to do was go to the doctor's office, and get a copy of the documentation. I got it and turned it in, and it was cleared up in no time.
Hah, then I had to wait a few more days before I was able to officially enlist. I think this whole ordeal was a little divine intervention geared toward giving me enough time to completely think everything through, and back out of it if I wanted to. However, according to one of my favorite musicals: "Mama says it doesn't matter if you're a king or you're a clown - once you drive up a mountain, you can't back down."
My recruiter was out recovering from back surgery, so he was unable to go with me through the process, but a stand-in recruiter took me back up to MEPS, and then to the Utah National Guard Headquarters. There, my paperwork was double checked, and I was finally sworn in (well, technically I was "affirmed" in, but same deal).
And now I'm looking back at it all. . . Find joy in the journey. Come what may and love it!
1 comment:
so you are official . . . what comes next?? Waiting to see if they need you for "something"
We love and miss you!!
Post a Comment